Mango

Thread: Create a page to display specific categories.

Created on: 10/11/11 09:56 AM

New topic Reply    Page: 1  

Replies: 5
drbunch

drbunch's Gravatar

10/11/11 9:56 AM

Hello,

I am trying to create a page which will display a specific category or multiple categories, depending on some parameters. Similar to clicking on a category from the menu.

I have yet to find anything which would easily facilitate this. I have been fiddling around with customizing a page type but keep getting errors.

My hope was to build something in which I could use the page title as a parameter for the category.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Dan
Link | Top | Bottom
visual28

Wizard
visual28's Gravatar

10/11/11 11:03 AM

Sounds like you want to use categories for page navigation, similar to many popular wordpress sites. You can use posts instead of pages and assign the categories to the post.

Your navigation would then link to the archives.cfm template instead of a page.

-
Mark - www.visual28.com | www.mangowear.com
Link | Top | Bottom
drbunch

drbunch's Gravatar

10/11/11 11:06 AM

So I would modify the skin to create links? Or is there a way a user can create the tabs like pages?
Link | Top | Bottom
visual28

Wizard
visual28's Gravatar

10/11/11 11:10 AM

Themes typically output pages as the navigation, not categories. So in your case you would need to modify the template(s) to hard code your category links into the navigation.

-
Mark - www.visual28.com | www.mangowear.com
Link | Top | Bottom
Laura

Wizard
Laura's Gravatar

10/11/11 11:12 AM

To add to what Mark is saying, you would need to modify the skin, but you don't need to hardcode the categories, unless you want to add links to only certain categories.
If you want links to all categories, then you can use the <Categories> tag to loop over all of them.
Link | Top | Bottom
drbunch

drbunch's Gravatar

10/11/11 11:14 AM

Alright. I will see what my user wants to do. Thank you for the help.

And thank you for creating a great blog engine.
Link | Top | Bottom

New Post

Please login to post a response.